Tuesday 3 November 2009

New Kit

With the summer well and truly over and thoughts turning to winter I have started shopping again. Everyone loves shiny new kit! I needed some new walking boots as my trusty Scarpa Nepals are no longer waterproof and the leather is splitting. Working in the outdoors means my kit takes a hammering!

First up a pair of Scarpa Charmoz: I needed a boot that would give me security and technical performance on scrambles, be light enough for everyday use and also take a crampon for winter walking/climbing. Waterproofness is a must! Like most purchases it is a bit of a compromise (unless you can afford 8 pairs of boots!), I have some slight doubts over the boots long term durability and waterproofness... but for comfort, weight and technical performance I think they will be great!




When it comes to working in winter lightweight waterproofs are just not good enough. As my old Berghaus salopettes have had it I purchased a pair of Mountain Equipment Karakorum pants - here is what ME have to say about them:

For mountaineers who like a high waisted fit trouser rather than salopettes. These durable pants are the first choice of mountain guides, ski instructors and many other outdoor professionals. They are made from our own exclusive Drilite Extreme fabric which is very hard wearing and now have an integral internal gaiter with a gripper hem.


FEATURES & BENEFITS:

  • Full length reversed side zips with storm flaps for total extreme weather protection, the 2 way zips open completely and give versatility when changing
  • Stretch Panels in the knees and seat for fantastic freedom of movement
  • Fully adjustable, detachable braces and a half elasticated, high backed waist give the user full protection and a great fit
  • 2-way front zip for added convenience
  • Simple pull-aside seat saves weight and allows for easy toilet stops
  • Fixed internal gaiters have a gripper hem to keep then in place plus gaiter hooks and anchors for added security
  • Triple stitched reinforced crampon kick strips for durability
  • Fully concealed tethered drawcords at leg hems



I'll let you know how I get on with them.